- Get Help for Using Xmarks
- Xmarks Top Issues
- Download, Install, Uninstall Questions
- Extension Download
- When I try to download, I get a message saying that Xmarks isn't compatible. What should I do?
- When I try to download, I get a message saying "Download Error." What should I do?
- Install and Setup
- Where do I create my account?
- I created an account, but the Setup Wizard can't find it. What happened?
- How do I restart the Setup Wizard?
- Installing won't work, I get an error message!
- Does Xmarks work on portable versions of Firefox?
- Account and Password Issues
- I forgot my password.
- I'm having trouble logging into my.foxmarks.com! What should I do?
- I keep receiving a message saying that my "Username and password appear to be invalid." How do I fix this?
- The link you sent me when I requested a temporary login didn't work. Why not?
- How do I change my account information?
- How do I change my password?
- Errors and Problems
- Help! Something strange happened to my bookmarks. What do I do?
- The Xmarks icon has disappeared!
- When I use Xmarks, I see an empty dialog that says "Status" and shows a "?". What should I do?
- Hey, you clobbered my favorite keyboard shortcut! Can I change it?
- Can I view my bookmarks when I'm not at my own computer?
- Is there a version of my.xmarks.com for my mobile device?
- Miscellaneous Questions
- How do I sort my bookmarks alphabetically?
- What is this "Unsorted" bookmarks folder?
- How do I setup Xmarks on a second or third computer?
- My bookmarks disappeared!
- Download your bookmarks from the Xmarks Server
- Restore to a previous version
- Using Other Servers
- Can I use Xmarks with my own server?
- Can I run my own Xmarks server?
- Is Xmarks compatible with proxy servers?
- Distributing the Xmarks Add-on
- Can I distribute the Xmarks add-on on a CD, DVD, or other media?
- Can I distribute the Xmarks add-on from my website?
- How do I uninstall and/or delete my account?
- What are Xmarks users talking about right now?
- Still stuck?
Get Help for Using Xmarks
View Xmarks' top issues and what Xmarks users are talking about right now in our GetSatisfaction forum.
Xmarks Top Issues
Download, Install, Uninstall Questions
When I try to download, I get a message saying that Xmarks isn't compatible. What should I do?
First, make sure that you are in fact running a compatible version of your browser. You can check the version of the browser you're running by selecting the "About" option in your browser menu.
- For Firefox: Select Firefox > Help > About Firefox
- For Chrome: Select the Wrench icon > About Google Chrome
- For Internet Explorer: Select Help > About Internet Explorer
- For Safari: Select Safari > About Safari
If you aren't running a compatible version, upgrade your browser: Upgrade your Firefox: Mozilla's website, upgrade your Chrome: Google Chrome's website, upgrade your Internet Explorer: Window's website or upgrade your Safari for Mac: Apple's website.
If you're running a compatible version of your browser but it still complains about version incompatibility, perform the following steps:
- In the address bar type "about:config".
- In the filter box type "version".
- If you see an entry that says "app.extensions.version", reset it by right-clicking on that entry and then select the "Reset" option.
After making these changes, try to install Xmarks again.
When I try to download, I get a message saying "Download Error." What should I do?
There are two possible causes for this problem stemming from your browser's configuration. Check the following:
- Make sure that your cache is cleared.
- In Firefox: Firefox > Options > Options > Privacy tab > click Clear your recent history > under Time range to clear > change to Everything > click the Details arrow > check Cache > Clear Now > OK.
- In Chrome: Wrench > Options > Under the Hood > click Clear Browsing Data > check Empty the Cache > under Obliterate the following items from: > change to the beginning of time > click Clear Browsing Data.
- In Internet Explorer: Tools > Delete Browsing History (Crtl+Shift+Del) > check Temporary Internet files > Delete.
- In Safari: Safari > Empty Cache (Left shift+Option+E) > Empty.
- Make sure your cache is enabled. Perform the following steps:
- In the URL (address) bar type the following without the quotes: "about:config"
- In the filter box type "browser.cache".
- In the filtered list you should see an entry called: "browser.cache.disk.enable". Double-clicking on this option will toggle it between true and false. Make sure that it is set to "true".
Install and Setup
Where do I create my account?
If you intend to use the Xmarks Server (the only configuration that we support), the setup wizard (which launches automatically after installation) will guide you through the account setup process, which you'll do exactly once.
If you're using some other server, speak to that server's administrator about setting up an account to use.
I created an account, but the Setup Wizard can't find it. What happened?
The only way to create an account for use with Xmarks is by using the Setup Wizard. If you created an account some other way, you have unfortunately gone down the wrong path. Use the Setup Wizard to create an account and the rest should go easily.
How do I restart the Setup Wizard?
The Setup Wizard runs automatically exactly once, and otherwise stays out of the way to avoid bothering you. If you need to start the Setup Wizard again, do the following:
- For Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer: Xmarks icon > Xmarks Settings > Status tab > Run Setup Wizard > OK.
- For Safari: Xmarks icon > Xmarks for Safari Settings > General tab > Run Setup Wizard.
Installing won't work, I get an error message!
Sometimes the files the Firefox web browser uses to store extension records can become corrupted; follow the instructions found at the Firefox Knowledge Base, and you should be able to install Foxmarks afterward.
Also, on one verified occasion an OS X user encountered the following error in the Firefox Error Console while trying to install the Foxmarks extension:
Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS) [nsILocalFile.create]" nsresult: "0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/components/nsExtensionManager.js :: openSafeFileOutputStream :: line 556" data: no] Source File: file:///Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/components/nsExtensionManager.js Line: 556
In this case, creating an entirely new profile fixed things up. For more information on the Firefox Profile Manager and how to create new profiles, check out this link.
Does Xmarks work on portable versions of Firefox?
We've had several reports of the Xmarks extension working well with USB and other portable versions of the Firefox browser. So: Yes!
Account and Password Issues
I forgot my password.
- Go to: https://login.xmarks.com/login/forgot_password
- Enter your email into the field.
- Click "Send Login Link".
- We will email you a temporary link to log in. Once you have logged in, you may change your password.
Note that if you change your password, you will also need to change the Xmarks account password stored in each browser where you have installed the Xmarks add-on, otherwise synchronization will fail.
I'm having trouble logging into my.foxmarks.com! What should I do?
Please note the following if you are having difficulties logging in:
- Make sure you're logging in at the right place: http://my.foxmarks.com/.
- Be sure that you have used the Setup Wizard to create your account.
- Usernames and passwords are case sensitive -- this means that MyPassword is different from mypassword. Use the same case for both username and passwords that you used when you created your account.
- Try using your email address instead of your Xmarks username -- they should be interchangeable.
I keep receiving a message saying that my "Username and password appear to be invalid." How do I fix this?
For Xmarks to work, you need to have created a synchronization account on our server, and Xmarks needs to know your username and password so it can access that account. If you don't have an account, or you haven't provided to Xmarks the correct username and password, you'll see this error message ("Username and password appear to be invalid") every time that Xmarks tries to sync.
If you have created an account, make sure that the username and password provided to Xmarks are both correct. Open the Xmarks Settings Dialog (Tools > Foxmarks > Settings...), correct any errors you see in the username and password fields, and press "Synchronize Now" to verify that all is well. If sync succeeds, you are set.
If this still does not work, you may be misremembering your username or password. To verify your account info, go to http://www.xmarks.com/, and click on "My Account". Use your username and password to log in. If you can log in successfully, go back to the previous step and make sure you're set the same username and password in the Xmarks Control Panel that you just used to log in on the web.
If you cannot login on the web, click on the "forgot" link. Follow the instructions there to either recover your password or receive a temporary login credential via email. Try correcting your username and password in the Xmarks Settings Dialog (as described in the preceding paragraph) and then try to sync again. If it succeeds, you are set.
This can also happen if you have your browser configured not to remember any passwords. If you really want to keep that setting while continuing to use Xmarks, click the 'Ok' button until you get rid of the alerts, then type your username and password, and click 'Synchronize now'
Running Firefox under Linux? There's a case pointed out by an Xmarks user where, if you're running Firefox under Linux, the file signons2.txt needs to be writeable by your user account in order for the password data to be properly updated for Firefox access.
Have you installed Sticky Password under Windows? Unfortunately, Sticky Password doesn't seem to play nicely with the Xmarks add-on; presently the only option seems to be to disable Sticky Password.
If none of these works for you, please contact us for further assistance.
The link you sent me when I requested a temporary login didn't work. Why not?
If you've forgotten your username and/or password and used the form we provide to have us send you a temporary login link, you should note that that link expires 24 hours after we send it to you. If you allow more than one day to elapse before using the link, you'll find that clicking on it fails to automatically log you in. Request another temporary login, and use the link provided within one day to access your account.
How do I change my account information?
Go to http://www.xmarks.com/ and click on "My Account". After logging in, you'll be directed to a page that will allow you to edit your account information.
Note that you can't change your username once it's created. If need be, you can delete your account; then you can create a new one with the new name.
How do I change my password?
If you'd like to change your password, click here and follow the instructions given.
The my.xmarks.com page is blank for me!
There's also been a report of Norton Ad Blocker causing this behavior--to fix under that case, you have to add my.xmarks.com to Norton Ad Blocker's permitted sites, then add the path "/".
Errors and Problems
Help! Something strange happened to my bookmarks. What do I do?
If something has gone awry, don't fear: it most cases, there is a backup available. For more information about backups available to you through Xmarks, see this page.
If you believe you have discovered a bug, please let us know! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit a support ticket.
The Xmarks icon has disappeared!
Check here for the location of your Xmarks icon.
When I use Xmarks, I see an empty dialog that says "Status" and shows a "?". What should I do?
This can happen if Xmarks has been incompletely installed, a problem that we've seen occasionally on Mac OSX. We don't yet know what causes the problem, but it can usually be fixed by uninstalling Xmarks and re-installing it.
Hey, you clobbered my favorite keyboard shortcut! Can I change it?
In Firefox, by default, Ctrl-Shift-O will open the Xmarks settings dialog, and Ctrl-Shift-S will force Xmarks to sync with the server (a.k.a. "Sync Now"). If you'd like to change the letter used for these shortcuts, you can do so with a small amount of gymnastics:
- Visit your configuration settings by typing 'about:config' into the Firefox location bar.
- Enter 'xmarks.shortcut' into the filter field, and you should see the two shortcuts listed. You can change any config value by selecting the entry, right-clicking, then choosing the "Modify" command from the menu--you may need to restart your browser for the change to take effect.
Can I view my bookmarks when I'm not at my own computer?
Yes! If you're traveling or otherwise away from your normal computers, just visit http://my.xmarks.com/ and enter your username and password for your account. After logging in, you'll be able to access your bookmarks much like you can from your own computer.
There are many cool features in My Xmarks that you might want to use even when you're on your own computer:
- organize your bookmarks, since you can see them all at once and in one easy-to-use display format.
- add or delete bookmark.
- edit descriptions, tags, titles, etc via the Details dialog.
- search for a particular bookmark in your collection using the Search dialog (it searches titles, URLs, descriptions, and tags.
- view all your bookmarks in a flat list sorted any way you like via Grid View.
- import your public del.icio.us bookmarks, or public bookmarks from other del.icio.us accounts.
- view and restore old bookmark sets, if you ever lose your bookmarks or accidentally delete something you need.
- choose 'sync profiles', so you can only sync a specified subset of your bookmarks to some of your computers, or restrict the bookmarks you see when you visit our mobile site (http://my.xmarks.com/mobile).
Note that this system is available only if you're using our server to store your bookmarks.
Is there a version of my.xmarks.com for my mobile device?
Also, if you'd like to only see some of your bookmarks on your mobile device, check out our Sync Profiles feature.
How do I sort my bookmarks alphabetically?
You can sort your bookmarks manually on the server at my.xmarks.com then download or sort them in your browser's bookmark manager then upload:
- For Firefox: Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks (Crtl+Shift+B) > select a folder to sort > Views > Sort.
- For Chrome: Wrench > Bookmark Manager > select a folder to sort > Organize > Reorder by Title.
- For Internet Explorer: Favorites > Organize Favorites > select folder to sort > right-click > Sort by Name.
- For Safari: There is no sort option in Safari's bookmark manager. Sort bookmarks on the server.
What is this "Unsorted" bookmarks folder?
The "Unsorted" bookmarks folder is a feature present in Firefox 3+, and it not a feature of Xmarks. It's related to the star icon that you see in your address bar. When you click that star icon once, the page that you are currently on gets bookmarked and placed in the "Unsorted" bookmarks folder. You can learn more about this folder and using the star icon here.
How do I setup Xmarks on a second or third computer?
- On your other computer, go to www.xmarks.com.
- Click "Install Now".
- In the setup wizard, select "Yes, I am a registered Xmarks user".
- Enter your username and password.
- Repeat these steps on all of your computers.
My bookmarks disappeared!
If you see a problem with your bookmarks, don't fear: your bookmarks are likely to be recoverable. Here are some things you can do:
Download your bookmarks from the Xmarks Server
- Login to my.xmarks.com to examine your bookmarks as they exist on the Xmarks server. This set of bookmarks found on my.xmarks.com is what will appear following the download.
- Close out the my.xmarks.com window.
- Select the Xmarks icon.
- Click "Xmarks Settings".
- Click the "Advanced" tab (In Internet Explorer, click "Advanced").
- Click "Download Bookmarks".
- A message will appear asking you to confirm the overwrite of your local bookmarks, click "OK".
This will restore your bookmarks to match their state on the Xmarks server. Note that you will lose bookmarks you had on this computer before the download. So, you should only perform a manual download if the bookmarks on the server are everything that you need.
Restore to a previous version
- Go to my.xmarks.com.
- Click, "Tools".
- Select, "Explore & Restore Old Bookmarks".
- Select a set of bookmarks from the list.
- Click "View" to display your bookmarks in a new browser window.
- Click "Export" to save them to a file.
- Click "Restore" to replace your existing bookmarks with your old set.
Using Other Servers
Can I use Xmarks with my own server?
Xmarks currently supports both FTP and WebDAV (via HTTP or HTTPS). Just fill in the appropriate server settings on the Xmarks dialog (including the "Advanced Server Settings" on the "Other" tab) to connect Xmarks with your server. In our experience, WebDAV is faster and more robust than FTP, but both work. Recently we've made some improvements to optimize network utilization, but those improvements are available only to WebDAV installations. FTP will probably not be so well supported in future Foxmarks releases, as it's just a more limited server.
If you use your own server, we're less able to help you with problems that you might encounter. Caveat switchor.
The Setup Wizard assumes that you're using the Xmarks server, and knows how to set up accounts only on sync.foxmarks.com. If you're using your own server, don't use the Setup Wizard (press Cancel when it starts).
Please note that we can't provide support if you're using your own server.
Can I run my own Xmarks server?
You can run parts of it yourself. Xmarks was once based on the Open Source Application Foundation's Cosmo Server, which you can download and install yourself. For a variety of reasons, mostly related to the volume of traffic we handle, we're no longer using Cosmo, but Xmarks remains compatible with it.
Xmarks should also run relatively well with any WebDAV server and less well with any FTP server.
Is Xmarks compatible with proxy servers?
Often not. If your browser is configured to use a proxy server, you'll probably find that you have to disable it just for the Xmarks extension's communications with the Xmarks server. See this page for more information.
Tip: If synchronizing fails, first connect through the proxy by requesting a webpage. The proxy will ask for username and password, and afterwards the update succeeds.
Distributing the Xmarks Add-on
Can I distribute the Xmarks add-on on a CD, DVD, or other media?
We are delighted that you are interested in sharing Xmarks with more people. You may distribute the Xmarks add-on, provided that you agree to the following conditions:
- You will distribute the latest production Xmarks client available at the time your media is prepared for distribution. The latest production version will always be available on the Xmarks website.
- You will not modify the add-on in any way.
- You understand that the Xmarks add-on is copyrighted by LastPass Inc.
- You will send an email to email@example.com to notify us about your plans prior to starting distribution. This is simply to notify us, you do not need to wait for our permission.
- We reserve the right to revoke your distribution rights at any time.
Can I distribute the Xmarks add-on from my website?
Yes you may, provided that you agree to the provisions listed in the answer above. However, we encourage you to link to the Xmarks website instead.
How do I uninstall and/or delete my account?
What are Xmarks users talking about right now?
Visit Xmarks' GetSatisfaction forum.